Friday, October 8, 2010

Postseason baseball is here, and it's making me sad

For baseball fans, October is the greatest month in sports.  It means that playoff baseball is here and the best of the best take their game up to another level to be the last team standing.  With my beloved Yankees in the mix and on a quest to repeat asWorld Series champions, I should feel like I'm on top of the world, but ironically I feel somewhat sad.  You see while I'm excited about the possibilities that lie ahead, the reality is that with each passing day in October, it means one less day to the baseball season and I'm going to miss that terribly.  I unashamedly love baseball and no other sport commands my loyalty much the way it does.  I've always said that one of my favorite sentences in the English language is "pitchers and catchers are reporting for spring training" because I know that when I hear that line (in February) it means that baseball is just around the corner and I am locked in!

To be a true baseball fan takes a level of committment unlike any other in sports.  A baseball season is 162 games long and runs from April to October/November (if your team is fortunate enough to make the playoffs) and each game is roughly a three to four hour affair (a good Yankees/Red Sox game is usually a 4 hour contest at minimum).  If you're like me you live and die with each pitch, and with the Yankees playing in the toughest division in baseball, the A.L. East, the games in the beginning of the season are just as important as the ones towards the end.

So why do I find myself so sad?  I think it's because I'm realizing that with each passing day in October it will mark one less day to the baseball season, and I don't want it to be over!  I enjoy this sport so much and I've always felt that it is the smartest of all the major sports.  The psychology involved - manager vs. manager; pitcher vs. hitter; hitter vs. himself, etc. it's a cross between a great prize fight and theater!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to savor the time I have left and root my Bronx Bombers on to championship #28.

So, that's TarazTake for today, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment