Friday, October 15, 2010

My new guilty pleasure - The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

I'll admit that I was one of those waiting with great anticipation for the premiere of "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills." The previews seemed to suggest that this installment of the popular franchise would be nothing like we've seen to this point, and boy were they right! 

These women take opulence to another level and appear to have more money and possessions than all of the housewives from Orange County, New York, New Jersey, Atlanta and D.C. combined!  While it was a little obnoxious to see one of the women, Lisa, treat her dog like he was the king of the canines and cater to his every need with luxuries I'm sure she wouldn't bestow upon the servant who has to pick up after him, I'm not hating on these women and how they live.  They take excess to heights us mere mortals living amongst them can only dream about.  This is what makes this show fun to watch as for 60 minutes we get to escape and fantasize about what could be. 

I was also very happy to see that Adrienne Maloof, member of the uber-successful Maloof family, was a part of the cast as I'm a big fan of her family and what they have achieved over the years.  I remember hearing a story that her father taught them the value of hard work and how to treat people with respect.  That comes across on screen as she seems very down to earth.  From seeing her in the first episode, you get the feel that she's not caught up in being rich, she just is.  That is the difference between "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and even Orange County for that matter (by the way, comparing the two would be equivalent to comparing a meteor to a molecule) to Atlanta as the West coast housewives don't come across as posers - say what you will about Vicki from the O.C., but you don't doubt that she's worked hard for her money and treats herself and her family accordingly.  Unlike many of the Atlanta women whose focus is on bags and clothes.

What's also interesting is to see how those with extreme wealth view other wealthy people.  You get the feeling that Adrienne and Lisa (who is also self-made and has built up her businesses over the years with her husband) look down on those who kind of fell into money like Camille Grammer, former wife of "Frasier" star Kelsey Grammer (probably doesn't help her case that she has 4 nannies to help her take care of her two kids).  They make little snide comments which make you know that we are in for some serious drama over the next few weeks.

The only women who I can see that I'm going to have to warm up to are sisters Kyle and Kim Richards.  Former child actresses in their own right, they are also known for being the aunts to perennial train wreck Paris Hilton (my distaste for this chick and the various racist comments she has spewed over the years makes me a little suspect about her family members).  Kyle seems to be the more likable of the two and you get the feel from watching the first episode that she doesn't suffer fools.  I look forward to seeing what these two bring to the table.

I have to tip my hat to Bravo on this one as I think they got it right with "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills."  The show has all the makings of a hit and I, myself, am counting down the days to next Thursday!

So, that's TarazTake for today, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that it re-airs tonight. I've got a glass of wine and I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taped it yesterday and watched it earlier today. I was prepared to dislike all of them because I didn't think I'd be able to relate to them at all. Plus, when I caught them on Wendy Williams they had the personalities of dry toast. I was pleasantly surprised by the show.

    ReplyDelete