Saturday, October 23, 2010

How the Food Network helped me discover a love for cooking

I use to be one of those New York career obsessed women who didn't have the time or inclination to learn how to cook.  I subscribed to the comment sentiment: "I don't make dinner, I make reservations."  Boy what a change a location and depressed economy will do for your mindset.  Having moved to Charlotte seven years ago I have been blessed to work from home, which has forced me to cook more as opposed to buy food from fast food restaurants and the like.  With a cooking repertoire that consisted of Kraft macoroni and cheese and this one chicken stew (Chicken Tropicana) that I learned how to make from my grandfather, I was not exactly in danger of being featured on the cover of Gourmet magazine.  Then one day I was channel surfing and came across this fabulous thing called the Food Network.

For those who don't know (and I'm assuming that this is the lot of you who have taken up residence under a rock in the last few years), the Food Network is a channel dedicated to teaching people how to cook.  They do this with shows with great experienced chefs and cooks who specialize in various cuisines (shout out to my secret crush - Bobby Flay!).  They do a great job of taking the intimidation out of cooking and showing
you great tips to make meals that your family and friends will love.  It is a single gir's dream!  So instead  of Kraft macaroni and cheese, I now know how to make noodles with a cheddar cheese bechemel sauce!  They have also helped me to appreciate the value of adding chicken stock to recipes to give it flavor beyond belief.  I now keep chicken stock in the house much the way people have an endless supply of salt and pepper.  There is no such thing as buying gravy anymore for this girl as I now make my own (I make a mushroom gravy that will melt in your mouth).  I also learn little cooking tips and techniques like how to smash garlic and how to take seeds out of peppers to make them less spicy.  Thanks to these folks, I now consider myself a pretty good cook, if I do say so myself!  This channel has also been a God-send in helping me to learn how to cook healthy alternatives and how to appreciate the beauty in cooking with fresh herbs, which has been vital in my never-ending quest to lose weight. 

As much as I am in love with this network, there is still one dish that I have yet to learn how to make and intimidates me beyond belief - white rice.  I can make the biggest of meals (I make an excellent turkey and cornbread stuffing) but ask me to make a simple pot of white rice and it would be like asking me to bring world peace.  I remain optimistic that my friends over at the Food Network will help me get over the hurdle, but in the meantime, if you have any good tips on cooking white rice, please send them along.

If you aren't watching the Food Network, I hope you will give it a try one day (a good lazy Saturday, would be the perfect time to do it), and I promise you that you won't be the same.  Happy Cooking!

So, that's TarazTake for today, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment