Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Two Greatest Inspirations

Throughout the course of our lives there will be people that cross our paths who have a lasting and immeasurable effect.  Hopefully for everyone (as it has for me) it starts at home with examples of parents and immediate family members who exhibit strength and character in good times and bad.  I remember recently saying to my mother how much I use to enjoy when she cooked smoked pig tails, string beans and white potatoes for dinner and her response to me was, "girl, we use to eat that because we were broke!"  I was shocked to hear her say that because in my mind, it was just a good meal, I never gave any thought to the economic implications.  But that's what good parents do, they handle their business and try their best to shield their children from life's complexities.

For me, two of my greatest inspirations have been my mother and my late grandfather.  My mother was a young single mother who recognized early on that if she was going to raise me to any amount of respectability, she had to develop a stronger relationship with God, and look to Him for guidance and direction.  She made a vow to Him that if He had given her a job she desired at the Veterans Administration Hospital that she would begin going to church.  He gave it her ,and she honored her word to Him.  So after a more than 30 year career at the V.A.; becoming an ordained preacher and raising a pretty decent kid (if I do say so myself), all turned out well.  My mother is my hero for a number or reasons (which are not limited to but include her work ethic, perserverance, resolve and her no-nonsense approach to nonsensical things), the main one being that she is truly my best example of how to get it right.

Now they say that behind every great man is a great woman, but in the case of me and my mom, the reverse is true because I was beyond blessed with the most wonderful grandfather this world had ever known.  He raised my young mother, and her young daughter and taught us what real men look like and what they don't.  My love affair with my grandfather began at a very early age when, according to my mom, I would never go to sleep until he came home from work (after midnight) and then I would crawl into bed with he and my grandmother.  He would allow me to regale him with stories of how when I was older I was going to make him macaroni and cheese (why mac and cheese?  I don't know, I think I was like 5 years old at the time and it seemed like an extravagant meal).  Through the years he became my best friend, teacher, confidante, advisor and running buddy who could make me laugh like no other.  My world was momentarily shattered at 5:00am on September 5, 1999 when he succumbed to cancer (it was my greatest joy and pain to be with him, holding his hand, as he left this earth).  However, the many life lessons he taught me along the way, which included not settling for less than what I'm worth, are carrying me through all aspects of my life today.  While I miss him terribly, I count my blessings that I had him for as long as I did because what I realized is that, in our brief time together, he imparted more wisdom in me than most people learn in a lifetime.

Losing my grandfather also helped me to appreciate and be demonstrative in showing love to those who are important to me, especially my mom.  Maybe I'll make her a pot of smoked pig tails, string beans and white potatoes and reminiscence about the good old days!

So, that's TarazTake for today, what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Tara...You've made your Mother and Grandfather very PROUD!!!

    ReplyDelete