Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Can you give and receive constructive criticism?

It was about four years ago that I came to the realization that I no longer looked as cute as I once did in shorts.  I use to always think (and pretty much still do) that one of my greatest features are my legs and to hear my grandmother tell it, even as a toddler, my legs were shapely.  So when did the revelation occur you ask?  I was walking in Wal-Mart thinking I was as cute as ever and noticed people looking at me in a way that intimated that they didn't share my opinion.  I then had to have an honest conversation with myself (and a long look in the mirror) to see if shorts were still a viable option and sadly I had to realize that they weren't and not just because I have more girth than I use to, but let's be honest, once you leave your twenties certain things are just not a good look anymore.  It then got me to thinking could I have handled it if someone other than my conscience told me to retire the shorts?  Then, probably not.  Now, I think I would have appreciated the honesty.

I pride myself on being honest and direct, and only offering opinions when asked, but I'm wondering if I'm doing a disservice to my family and friends by not letting them know when I think they are making a misstep.  Something as simple as a poor choice in wardrobe or more significant as a wrong choice that can impact their life greatly is a slippery slope when dealing with loved ones.  I have an 11 year old nephew whom I adore and one of the reasons I do so is that he is very kind and considerate, but also very honest.  He does it in a way that allows you to receive his criticism without being too offended (if I would have ran the whole shorts thing by him, I'm sure I would have stopped wearing them sooner than I did).  I could a learn a thing or two from him.

It's important to surround yourself with people who will love and support you and think enough of you to call you out when you're wrong or won't allow you to make a fool of yourself.  Thankfully, that's the case with me, and so that I don't have to incur their wrath in the future, I vow that everytime I meet up with them I'll make sure that I'm wearing anything but shorts - do you see how cute they are making crops, capri's and pedal pushers these days??!!

So, that's TarazTake for today, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment