Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Value of Having Good Sister-Friends in Your Life

Growing up as an only child I never longed to have sisters because what I saw from the women around me who had sisters was a lot of drama.  Someone wore someone's clothes; someone likes someone else's boyfriend; "mom likes you better", blah, blah, blah.  Me?  I had my mother's love all to myself, I got pretty much anything I wanted (which I found out later in life is not always the best thing); and I was spoiled beyond rotten by my grandparents. 

I also never saw the need in having sisters because as an only child, you tend to get adopted by friends with large families.  Growing up in the projects in Brooklyn, NY in the 80's and early 90's wasn't a scary time, as most might think, it was really more of a sense of community.  Everyone looked out for everyone else.  You could stay out to play as long as there was a responsible adult outside or until the street lights came on, whichever came first.  People sort of took a special interest in me because I was a latch-key kid as my mother worked very long hours to make a better life for us.  So I had a host of big sisters, brothers and surrogate mothers making sure that I was taken care of when my mom was working.  While I don't think I took those relationships for granted, I don't think I appreciated the way they helped to form my life.

However, as I grew older, I begin to learn the value of having true "sisters" in your life, women who love you unconditionally, flaws and all.  One of the friendships I value the most is the one I have with my best friend Rockelle.  We've been friends for over 20 years (ever since I gave her an extra minute when I was administering her typing test, which goes to show you how long ago that was because who takes typing tests anymore??!!).  Rockelle is the Louise to my Thelma.  Where my personality is outgoing and gregarious, she tends to be more quiet and reserved; where I tend to say what comes to my mind, she will be more thoughtful and careful in her responses to people.  While I'm an open book, most times, she is very guarded (I often tell her that she is a mystery wrapped inside of an enigma).  Somehow, you wouldn't think these personalites would mesh, but they do.  I think it works because we allow each other to be who we are meant to be, also because she stays clear of me during Yankee games and I return the favor when the Jets are on, and when she hasn't eaten (she is rough when she is hungry!).

So, okay I have Rockelle and that's all I need, right?  Wrong!  I use to say that I have all of the friends I need in my life and then along came these amazing group of women who have become the sisters that God intended for me to have.  They are Tonya, Gail, Tracy and Yvette.  They each add to my life in ways that challenge me to be a better person.  From Tonya's caring heart and endless amount of support to Gail's warmth and loyalty; from Tracy's wise and no-nonsense counsel to Yvette's encouraging and beautiful spirit, I can't imagine a life without them in it, and I thank God that He allowed our paths to cross.  What they also teach me is that you shouldn't be so quick to cut yourself off from people.  To allow people to love you and be there for you in good times and bad. 

I'm thankful that Rockelle, Tonya, Gail, Tracy and Yvette are my bedrocks of strength and I love them all beyond measure.  Men are nice and all, but they come and go.  Sister-friends are forever!

So, that's Taraztake for today, what are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I feel very blessed to be included in your circle of sisterhood. The Thursday touch base calls (I guess this counts), mean a lot to me. Life has many challenges, but with a sister like you, I know I can make it through. As Glady's Knight says, "That's What Friends Our For". Thanks my sister!

    Your "Big Sister" Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why you have to put my business out on front street! Just kidding.... LOL! Life would not be what it is for me today if not for your friendship. Love you kid... And, I will take the men too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was beautiful (w/teary eyes :)! Thank you for being in my/our lives too...although, I know u just love me for my/your children--lol!
    Just think, if u weren't in our lives, we wouldn't exactly be HERE! Love u GS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic read! I love it.
    Lots of truth. Emailing my BFF now.

    ReplyDelete