Friday, September 24, 2010

The J-E-T-S are a MESS, MESS, MESS!

Okay, I'm really going to step in the lion's den today as two people who are very close to me are die-hard Jets fans.  However, I'm going to have to risk it because the New York Jets are really starting to annoy me!

Being a born and bred New Yorker (shout out to Brooklyn!), I'm a die-hard Yankees fan (something that anyone who has ever had a conversation with me finds out in less than five minutes); I was a Giants fan (the conventional wisdom says that Yankee fans are usually Giants fans and Mets fans are usually Jets fans); I say special prayers for the Knicks, Nets and Mets; and I root for the Jets sort of the way you wish your little brother well in life.  However, I'm starting to think that the Jets are developing an inflated sense of ego. 
They had a great playoff run last year, coming one game shy of going to the Super Bowl, and they became the darlings of the N.F.L.  So when HBO's behind the scenes show "Hard Knocks" came calling, of course the Jets signed up. 

I really enjoyed "Hard Knocks" in the past so I was excited to see the Jets version and thought it was pretty good.  It was disturbing to hear how much gratuitous profanity that was bandied about on the show, and  I tried to brush it off and think that maybe that's how men in locker rooms talk  It then occurred to me that the main people using this salty language were the coaches themselves (someone please hand the loveable Rex Ryan a thesaurus so that he can learn to express himself differently).  I was also reminded how Christian coach Tony Dungy led a team to  champtionship glory maintaining grace and dignity throughout the process.  Therefore, I refuse to believe that men need to relate to each other in a profane way in order to be successful.

Something that I think a lot of reality television stars are coming to discover is that if you live by the camera, you must die by it also..  So with a bullseye now squarely on their back, and playing in the toughest media market in all of sports, everything the Jets do is going to be magnified.  So you would think that this would cause them to be on their best behavior.  NOT!

First up: demeaning a female reporter with catcalls and insulting remarks.    It was disturbing, to say the least, to hear how the players carried themselves around this woman, apparently led by the outspoken Kris Jenkins, who is one of the "leaders" of the team (maybe now that an injury has forced him out for the season, it will give him some time to reflect on ways that he can contribute more to the team than his mouth).  As an aside, and I don't want to get into blaming the victim here, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for this reporter to have a sit down with the Pam Olivers and Suzy Kolbers of the world to give her a lesson on how to dress in front of a football team, and how wearing skin tight jeans may not be the look you want to go for if you want to be taken seriously.  But, I digress.

Next on tap: the drunk driving arrest of Braylon Edwards.  I want to go on record as saying that I think that people who drive drunk are stupid.  Period, the end!  To knowingly get in a car while intoxicated is not only foolish, but you put unsuspecting others at risk.  Apparently Edwards was in the car with three other people (was he the less drunk of the four of them which is why he drove?) and no one thought that him driving was a bad idea??!!  What's worse is that the Jets have a program in place that allows you to call for a ride in cases such as these and he didn't make the call.  This guy's career has been resurrected more than Jesus Christ himself and he still doesn't appreciate the gift he's been given.  Incredible!

What's funny to me is that the reports in the New York papers yesterday had Rex Ryan telling his team that "enough was enough."  Maybe if he had spent more time in training camp talking to them about character issues then finding new ways to use the "F" word, he wouldn't sound so exasperated now.

Now as I said earlier, I root for the Jets because us New Yorkers (although they do play in New Jersey) must stick together, but just like that little brother, I want to slap them upside the head and tell them to GET IT TOGETHER!!!

So that's TarazTake for today.  What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm not quite sure what to say about this being a die-hard JETS fan. However, I do have to agree that it is time to get down to business and leave the rest of the stuff behind. I have no doubt that the bravado has reached a new level, but as we know with any sport nothing else matters but the win! So my thoughts are -- whatever you haters -- J E T S, JETS! JETS! JETS!

    ReplyDelete